Receiving the error message below can be frustrating when trying to view PDFs in a folder. But luckily, there are some steps that can be done to get the preview enabled! See below on how to enable the preview pane for PDFs!
Enabling Preview Pane in File Explorer
- Open Adobe Reader by clicking the Start Menu button, typing "Adobe" in the search bar and then clicking "Open".
Adobe can also be opened by clicking on the "Adobe Reader DC" icon on the desktop.
- Click "Edit", then "Preferences".
- On the left-hand side, click "General", then click the checkbox next to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer", then click "OK".
- Another window will open. Click "Yes".
- Adobe will then make the necessary changes to the computer and will display the progress in another window.
- Once Windows makes the necessary configuration changes, the "Preferences" window will close. Close Adobe Reader and open File Explorer.
- On the top of the Window, click "View" and then click "Preview pane".
- Click the PDF that is wanted to be viewed.
If Adobe is not installed on the computer or if any error messages or admin password prompts pop up on the screen or if the steps above do not show a PDF in the preview pane, submit a support ticket.